PowerPoint Introductory Lecture on Puritans:
For full trial lesson plan including readings and set-up:
Puritan Culture Quiz
1. Based on the Blackmon Historiography (see above), explain Puritan culture by addressing at least 3 “Folkways” in detail.
1. Explain Puritan religion. What is dissent? How did Puritans deal with it?
2. Who was Roger Williams? How did he impact Anne Hutchinson?
3. Explain The Covenant of Grace, The Elect and The Covenant of Works.
Post Trial Quiz
4. How did Anne Hutchinson interpret these concepts and begin to challenge church authority? How did she justify her actions?
5. Why did Puritans object to her ideas and behavior? How did Hutchinson threaten gender and hierarchy roles?
Respond to the following prompt in a thesis-driven analytical essay. I expect a full essay with an introduction and conclusion as well as the body structure we have been working on in class. You know what to do!
To what extend to you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Anne Hutchinson (along with Roger Williams) cemented a cornerstone into the foundation of American liberty. Namely, she insured the right to think, a right constantly challenged throughout our history whenever intolerant and self-righteous groups strive to dictate what is “proper” and “just”.
In other words…
To what extent did Anne Hutchinson contribute to the ideas of freedom of thought, speech and religion that we now have in this country today? How did Anne Hutchinson (through her actions and words both before and during the trial) establish the idea that people right to think for themselves?